Last Modified: Oct 9th, 2018
aFan is provided by Common Computer Inc.. aFan provides various ways to express yourself, learn from others, and being a fan of your loving friends.
When you use these services, you’ll share some information with us. So we want to be upfront about the information we collect, how we use it, whom we share it with, and the controls we give upon your information.
Information We Collect
There are three basic categories of information we collect:
- Information you choose to give us.
- Information we get when you use our services.
- Information we get from third parties.
Here’s a little more detail on each of these categories.
Information You Choose to Give Us
When you interact with our services, we collect the information that you choose to share with us. For example, most of our services require you to set up a basic aFan account, so we need to collect a few important details about you, such as: a unique username you’d like to go by, a password, an email address, a phone number, and your date of birth. To make it easier for others to find you, we may also ask you to provide us with some additional information that will be publicly visible on our services, such as profile pictures, a name, or other useful identifying information. Other services, such as commerce products, may also require you to provide us with a debit or credit card number and its associated account information.
Of course, you’ll also provide us whatever information you send through our services, such as pictures that you shared on posts when sharing with friends. Keep in mind that the users you send any content to can always save that content or copy it outside the app. So, the same common sense that applies to the internet at large applies to aFan as well: Don’t send messages or share content that you wouldn’t want someone to save or share.
It probably goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway: When you contact customer support or communicate with us in any other way, we’ll collect whatever information you volunteer.
Information We Get When You Use Our Services
When you use our services, we collect information about which of those services you’ve used and how you’ve used them. We might know, for instance, that you watched a particular post, saw a specific ad for a certain period of time, and sent likes to fan’s post. Here’s a fuller explanation of the types of information we collect when you use our services:
Usage Information. We collect information about your activity through our services. For example, we may collect information about:
- how you interact with our services.
- how you communicate with other fans and followers.
Content Information. We collect content you create on our services and information about the content you create or provide, such as if the follower has viewed the content and the metadata that is provided with the content.
Device Information. We collect information from and about the devices you use. For example, we collect:
- information about your hardware and software, such as the hardware model, operating system version, device memory, advertising identifiers, unique application identifiers, apps installed, unique device identifiers, browser type, language, battery level, and time zone;
- information from device sensors, such as accelerometers, gyroscopes, compasses, microphones, and whether you have headphones connected; and
- information about your wireless and mobile network connections, such as mobile phone number, service provider, and signal strength.
Device Phonebook. Because aFan is all about communicating with friends, we may—with your permission—collect information from your device’s phonebook.
Camera and Photos. Many of our services require us to collect images and other information from your device’s camera and photos. For example, you won’t be able to upload photos from your camera roll unless we can access your camera or photos.
Location Information. When you use our services we may collect information about your location. With your permission, we may also collect information about your precise location using methods that include GPS, wireless networks, cell towers, Wi-Fi access points, and other sensors, such as gyroscopes, accelerometers, and compasses.
Log Information. We also collect log information when you use our app and website. That information includes, among other things:
- details about how you’ve used our services.
- device information, such as your web browser type and language.
- access times.
- pages viewed.
- IP address.
- identifiers associated with cookies or other technologies that may uniquely identify your device or browser.
- pages you visited before or after navigating to our website.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
We may collect information that other users provide about you when they use our services. For example, if another user allows us to collect information from their device phonebook—and you’re one of that user’s contacts—we may combine the information we collect from that user’s phonebook with other information we have collected about you. We may also obtain information from our affiliates and third parties.
How We Use Information
We use the information we collect to provide you with an amazing set of products and services that we relentlessly improve. Here are the ways we do that:
- develop, operate, improve, deliver, maintain, and protect our products and services.
- send you communications, including by email. For example, we may use email to respond to support inquiries or to share information about our products, services, and promotional offers that we think may interest you.
- monitor and analyze trends and usage.
- personalize our services by, among other things, suggesting friends or profile information, or customizing the content we show you, including ads.
- contextualize your experience by tagging your memories content using your precise location information (if, of course, you’ve given us permission to collect that information) and applying other labels based on the content.
- provide and improve ad targeting and measurement, including through the use of your precise location information (again, if you’ve given us permission to collect that information), both on and off our services.
- enhance the safety and security of our products and services.
- verify your identity and prevent fraud or other unauthorized or illegal activity.
- use information we’ve collected from cookies and other technology to enhance our services and your experience with them.
- enforce our Terms of Service and other usage policies.
How We Share Information
We may share information about you in the following ways:
With other users. We may share the following information with other aFan users:
- information about you, such as your username.
- information about how you have interacted with our services, such as click on likes, the names of users you are friends with, and other information that will help users understand your connections with others using our services.
- any additional information you have directed us to share.
- content you post or send. How widely your content is shared depends on your personal settings and the type of service you are using.
With all users, our business partners, and the general public. We may share the following information with all users as well as with our business partners and the general public:
- public information like your name, username, and profile pictures.
- posts that are set to be viewable by everyone and any content that you submit to an inherently public service, like other crowd-sourced services. This content may be viewed and shared by the public at large both on and off our services, including through search results, on websites, in apps, and in online and offline broadcasts.
With third parties. We may share your information with the following third parties:
- With service providers. We may share information about you with service providers who perform services on our behalf.
- With business partners. We may share information about you with business partners that provide services and functionality.
With third parties for legal reasons. We may share information about you if we reasonably believe that disclosing the information is needed to:
- comply with any valid legal process, governmental request, or applicable law, rule, or regulation.
- investigate, remedy, or enforce potential Terms of Service violations.
- protect the rights, property, and safety of us, our users, or others.
- detect and resolve any fraud or security concerns.
- With third parties as part of a merger or acquisition. If Common Computer Inc. gets involved in a merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation or bankruptcy, or acquisition of all or some portion of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company before and after the transaction closes.
We may also share with third parties—such as advertisers—aggregated, non-personally identifiable, or de-identified information.
Third-Party Content and Integrations
Our services may also contain third-party links and search results, include third-party integrations, or offer a co-branded or third-party-branded service. Through these links, third-party integrations, and co-branded or third-party-branded services, you may be providing information (including personal information) directly to the third party, us, or both. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for how those third parties collect or use your information. As always, we encourage you to review the privacy policies of every third-party service that you visit or use, including those third parties you interact with through our services.
Analytics and Advertising Services
Provided by Others
Additionally, some companies, may use information collected on our services to measure the performance of ads and deliver more relevant ads on behalf of us or other companies, including on third-party websites and apps.
Provided by Us
How Long We Keep Your Information
aFan lets you capture great moments of your lives and share them with your fans. We store information for some periods of time. For example:
- We store your basic account information—like your name, phone number, and email address—and list of friends until you ask us to delete them.
- We store location information for different lengths of time based on how precise it is and which services you use. If you add your location information along with your pictures, we’ll retain that location as long as you delete the post.
- We’re constantly collecting and updating information about the things you might like and dislike, so we can provide you with more relevant content and advertisements.
If you ever decide to stop using Afan, you can just ask us to delete your account. We’ll also delete most of the information we’ve collected about you after you’ve been inactive for a while—but don’t worry, we’ll try to contact you first!
Keep in mind that, while our systems are designed to carry out our deletion practices automatically, we cannot promise that deletion will occur within a specific timeframe. There may be legal requirements to store your data and we may need to suspend those deletion practices if we receive valid legal process asking us to preserve content or if we receive reports of abuse or other Terms of Service violations. Finally, we may also retain certain information in backup for a limited period of time or as required by law.
Facebook Data Deletion Instructions
If you use Facebook Login to sign into aFan, you can remove your data by following these steps:
- Go to your Facebook Account's Setting & Privacy. Click "Settings"
- Look for "Apps and websites" and you will see all of the apps and websites you linked with your Facebook.
- Search "aFan" and click "Remove".